Saturday, January 5, 2008

O-BA-MA! Coming Through!


I spent most of yesterday in this quite delirium that I was able to share with my hubby, my good friend Cindy and my friends in the blogosphere as I relished Obama's Iowa Caucus win Thursday night. My husband and I have been debating the Democratic and the Republican candidates for months now; discussing the "electability" of each.

I believe Barack Obama is THE candidate for the Dems right now. I'm not saying that I don't think the other candidates wouldn't do a good job as our next president and there is a huge part of me that would love to see a woman in the White House as much as I would love to see an African American there, but all in good time. If I live to see both in my lifetime, I will have lived in a truly fabulous age! I can't believe this is a thought I'm even considering given the nightmare I feel we've been living through for the last eight years.

I think Obama can ignite a fervor in the voters of this country that we haven't seen in many years and more importantly, I think he is appealing to a wide range of voters. Considering the results of Thursday night, I think perhaps my feelings are correct.

We watched Charlie Rose last night; the "post Iowa" show and the three political analysts on the show could not stop talking about Obama. I think David Brooks himself might cast his vote for Obama given the chance. Brooks has just been waiting to get back to his liberal foundation. Unfortunately, the show is not available online yet, but here's a small excerpt:

Paul Begala on Hillary's Chances in New Hampshire


And from Daily Kos today on the Democrats' dinner in New Hampshire last night :

I thought Hillary speech was incredibly lackluster and unfocused. Bill Richardson was fired up and kept it short and sweet. But Bill was barely off the stage when Obama's supporters started their "Fired Up!" "Ready to go!!" chant and an ocean of his "O" signs went up. This kept up for several minutes with the chants getting louder, when the announcer said that everyone "for safety concerns" should take their seats. (loud, defiant boo's - nobody sat down) Then Obama entered and the crowd went insane. His speech was constantly peppered with "O-Ba-Ma!, O-Ba-Ma!, O-Ba-Ma!" I was really taken aback by this New Hampshire support. I hafta wonder if Hillary might have gotten a bit queasy witnessing that kind of support right off the bat.

I'm telling you, this man is a phenom.

There's also something I predict, because I feel it myself. America is in love with this candidate. And if anyone tries to rough him up too much or slime him (and you know that's going to be attempted - what other choice do his rivals have?), the PEOPLE aren't going to take too kindly to it. I can already see a fierce protectiveness of this man. He's the real deal - genuine, authentic, warm, idealistic, and yes, a hope-monger. (I love that line).

Get ready, America. An Obama tsunami is coming!

No comments: